Friday, October 16, 2009

Dangers of a high protein diet

 

 

meat

 

Friends, I have been a vegan for twenty five years. I learned about the dangers of meat eating while research-ing the best diet to feed my firstborn daughter, Giana. I had tried so many diets over the years, since I owned two health food stores in California, and competed in bodybuilding. There were many high protein diets and shakes that I consumed in my hopes of packing on more muscle and size.

       The Atkins High Protein Diet was already popular when I bought my first health food store, Artesian Health Foods II, in Tracy, CA. I remember his book, The Diet Revolution, that was advocating a diet mostly from high-protein foods like beef, chicken, luncheon meats, cheese, and dairy products, and low amounts of carbohydrates. 
       The Cambridge and Beverly Hills Diet were two more popular high-protein diets that came in easy-to-make shakes. Some were marketed as meal replacements. The high-protein craze started gaining momentum even earlier when Charles Atlas advertisements graced magazines. The cartoon-like sketch depicted a puny guy named Charles relaxing on the beach with his girlfriend, when a big bully harasses the two of them and kicked sand in his face. Charles Atlas is then shown beefing-up with weights, and after putting on pounds of solid muscle, he returns later and defends his girlfriend from the bully by punching him in the face. Young men were sold that protein makes you big, strong, and very tough.

       Then everyone remembers Steve Reeves, who played the role of the first Hercules, clad with amazing pecs and biceps. Then came Arnold Schwarz-enegger, 7-time Mr. Olympia, and considered the greatest bodybuider of all time. I remember the time I drove to L.A. just to meet him and watch him workout. I couldn't take my eyes off his his 22-inch arms. I remember saying, "His arm is bigger than my head."

       Protein, protein, protein was the chant from the Weider Brothers who published the ever-popular Muscle Magazine. Athletes, and want-a-be bodybuilders, were drinking protein shakes like the stuff was water. Even the average Joe knew protein builds big muscles, right? But at what cost?

       Then came the kidney stones and other kidney diseases due to an excess of animal protein and acid forming food. And don't be fooled when your doctor says your kidney test reveals that your creatine levels are high. I have learned that the kidneys may be trying to filter out the excess creatine. The doctor will recommend that you eat more protein, thus compounding the problem.

       More cancers in all the major organs of the body, especially the reproductive organs, soon followed. All reproductive and other female organs were effected - the prostate, testicles, breast, ovaries, and uterus - because  animal protein, like saturated fat and estrogen, fuel cancer!

       T.Colin Campbell, Ph.D. from Cornell University, proved this in the largest epidemiological study ever done on diet and disease. He learned that the Chinese, living in rural China, consume only 10% of their calories from animal protein, in comparison, Americas eat as much as 70% of their calories from animal protein. Charlotte Gerson taught me that animal protein causes tumors to grow, especially casein from dairy products.

       Dr. T. Colin Campbell published his findings in his bestseller, The China Study, a book I consider to be the most important book on the subject of diet and disease.

        From all the information I had studied on the subject of diet and disease, I knew, and had warned the people listening to my weekly radio program for 12 years called Healthline, that the day would come when Americans would learn that animal protein, not animal fat, is the number one carcinogen in the United States.

       Who would have thought that the meat and dairy you consume is causing and feeding cancer in the human body? And forget about hormone-free animal meat. Hormone-free meats are still too high in animal protein.

       I want to thank Dr. T. Colin Campbell for speaking at two of Modern Manna Health and healing Crusades, and warning the thousands that attended that an animal-based diet can cause cancer and many other diseases like osteoporosis, high blood pressure, and kidney disease. On the other hand, the diet God gave us in the beginning, a whole plant-based diet, protects us from the ravages of cancer and other chronic diseases.

author: Danny Vierra

 

Technorati Tags: ,,

No comments: